APOA Season Opener Social 2016 and Membership renewal Saturday Dec 10, 2016 (4:30 PM-7:30 PM)

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News

The APOA is hosting a social event at the Rock Oven room in the hotel. Please join us on Saturday December 10th, 2016 from 4:30 pm-7:30 pm. A selection of delectable food goods with drink specials at $6 for beer, cider, wine and high-balls. We encourage all current members and those who wish to become members to join us in the fun.

A table will be set up at the entry way to renew your membership for the 2016/2017 season if you have not already done so. A cheque or cash in the amount of $30 will secure your membership for another year.

A REMINDER— bar tickets will be sold on a cash only basis. So load your pockets with folding and jingly items of commerce.

Come see friends old and new and swap stories of the first ski day of what should be an amazing year.

Apex Fire Brigade – November 2016 Newsletter

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News

afbsmatters-nov-2016 click on this link for newsletter

Included in this newsletter:

What they have been up to.

Accidents over the summer.

Training and a few pictures.

Fire prevention.

Enjoy the read!!!

Apex Waste Transfer Station – Open House Dec 5, 2016 (At Apex) & Dec 6, 2016 (In Penticton).

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News

Details for meetings

APOA Fall Newsletter 2016

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News, Newsletters

APOA-Fall-Newsletter-nov-2016 Click on link to view

HRVA (Hazard Risk Vulnerability Assessment)

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News

The APOA through the RDOS is conducting an HRVA workshop for the Apex property area.

You might ask what is an HRVA and why are you doing this. HRVA stands for: Hazard Risk and Vulnerability Assessment. An HRVA is a systematic approach to identify hazards, evaluate risk and incorporate appropriate measures to manage and mitigate those risks.

There are 57 known hazards that are evaluated in this process, all the way from air crash to utilities failure and everything in between.   If a situation arises, how to go about sounding the alarm and knowing what resources will begin to assist the situation.

The APOA, the voice of Apex property owners, wants to help better prepare the outdoor recreation area of Apex, its residents and recreational users how to approach different hazardous situations should they occur.We anticipate this plan would be available for viewing in early 2017 and will advise the membership by email. If you wish to participate in this workshop on Nov. 17, 2016 please email your contact details to APOAexec@gmail.com with HRVA in subject line.

Minutes of March 19, 2016 AGM

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News

AGM MINUTES APOA MARCH 19, 2016
APEX MT. INN, APEX MOUNTAIN RESORT

1. CALL TO ORDER
Meeting called to order by President Valenti at 3:06 PM, in attendance 65 people

2. APPROVAL OF APOA AGM MINUTES OF MARCH 21 2015
Minutes approved unanimously.

3. BOARD REPORTS: 2 TO 4 MINUTES EACH:
A. PRESIDENT- JULIA VALENTI
Julia reported that the November conference which addressed impacts of logging practices on recreational areas was successful & attended by
28 representatives from the Province. She thanked the APOA logging steering committee for it’s organizing of the event. She expressed thanks
to retiring APOA Board member Phyllis Matthews for her 17 year service to APOA as “Road Witch” watch dog to ARGO. She called upon the
membership to remain active and engaged in matters of upcoming “governance study” by the RDOS and to persist in requesting that RDOS
recognize the uniqueness of the Apex Property Owners holdings. She expressed hopes that the APOA and Apex Fire Brigade would continue
to bond and work together.

B. TREASURER’S REPORT – BARRY LEIGH
Year end account balance $16,588.50 as of Dec 31, 2015 Report on file

C. MEMBERSHIP REPORT – BARRY LEIGH
Year end 106 members, at present, 110 paid up members

D. ARGO ROAD MAINTENANCE – PHYLLIS MATTHEWS
Phyllis reported that at present there is no ARGO supervisor. Maintenance has been very poor in general the past year. She encouraged people to phone and write letters to ARGO every time they have a complaint. Increased (by double) logging truck traffic, poor signage, improper road clearing at trail heads has complicated and deteriorated the road conditions to an unsafe situation. She stressed that the RDOS needs to support the road users. Phyllis reported that she has written to request a grant for clearing trail heads; in general ARGO did a bad job this year. She stressed the urgency and need for phoning ARGO with complaints and the writing of letters by concerned people; more is better in this case. Jen Albrechtson will assume Phyllis’s position.

E. FORESTRY – JEFF BROWN – Q & A TO FOLLOW IF NEEDED FOR UP TO 10 MINUTES
Jeff reported on the “Forestry in BC’s Recreation Areas Conference” (initiated by APOA) The focus was on the interplay between recreation & logging, identifying problems & solutions. He reported it was well attended and addressed diverse issues. He stressed that we, the public users carry the burden of identifying where the issues are and impacting regulations. The power has been in the hands of private logging upper management for 15 years. These are provincial wide issues with disproportionate interest in harvesting that calls for conversations with MLAs by all parties. The conference opened up the channels for Forestry Committees to coordinate with each other. APOA Forestry committee continues
to meet with logging representatives and the Provincial staff. Denis OGorman of the Forestry Committee called for volunteers for the Committee.
There will be a meeting with the Ministry in June. The focus will be on modified harvest practices near trails and private properties.

4. AFBS REPORT – RICK VALENTI OR GARY VOLLET – 3 MIN. & 3 MIN. Q & A
Gary reported there are 37 members on Fire Brigade, 15 residing at Apex full time, 22 are seasonal. Funding by contributions from APOA,
RDOS, AFBS fundraisers & Mark Tougas of Annual Firemen’s Hockey Tournament held at Apex. Apex Mt Resort assists in flushing the 22 fire hydrants, John Davis with snow clearing. They receive used protective clothing & equipment from various BC fire departments when they
upgrade. The siren on top of the Apex Barn is tested every Tuesday night and we are connected to the Kelowna 911 dispatch system by radio.
He reported there were no major fires but AFBS did respond to two motor vehicle accidents this year. Gary also included a point by point
list of fire precautionary/safety steps for property owners to perform for the closing of the season.

5. PRESENTATION OF $500 CHECK TO AFBS FROM APOA
President Julia presented a check for $500 to Gary Vollet for AFBS from APOA.

6. WASTE TRANSFER STATION UPDATE – CAMERON BAUGHEN – RDOS – 10 MIN. & 10 MIN. Q & A
Candace Pilling, RDOS Engineer for Transfer Station Project reported: Original site has been chosen, McElhany Construction to build; project
still in extensive planning stage addressing budget, aesthetics, lighting, bear proofing, security, access, health concerns (they are working with
Interior Health) & geo technical survey. Ministry of Environment has been contacted, Apex Mt resort sublease has been signed and rezoning
is underway. An extensive Q & A period ensued as many members expressed disapproval of several issues. President Julia encouraged
members to stay engaged with RDOS, posing questions and giving insights. Building is to commence in July, completed by end of the year.

7. RDOS GOVERNANCE STUDY UPDATE – MYLEEN MALLACH – 2 TO 4 MIN. & 10 MIN. Q & A
Myleen reported that she will represent APOA for the Governance study being done by RDOS. She invited members to watch & attend open
houses when they are held.

8. BOARD ELECTIONS:
President Julia stepping down after 9 years, Phyllis Matthews after 17 years, Jeff Brown after 5 years.
Remaining Board members: Barry Leigh, Jen Albrechtson, Diane Pew & Suzie Anderson.
Nominated from floor: Arnie Erickson, Colette Stoof, Theo Kellner, Robert McLennan
2016/17 Board elected by acclimation: Barry Leigh, Jen Albrechtson, Diane Pew, Suzie Anderson, Arnie Erickson, Colette Stoof,Theo Kellner, Robert Mclennan (Julia Valenti ex officio)

9. APEX MOUNTAIN RESORT – JAMES SHALMAN – 10 MIN. & 10 MIN Q & A
James reported “el nineo” conditions made excellent conditions after a summer of extensive new brushing and creation of new runs. Season
pass sales began slowly but snow quality boosted sales in later season. The skier accident rate is lower than the national average with
two serious accidents and 4 days lost to avalanche control. The new $600,000 winchless groomer covers 4 acres per hour more than the
old equipment. Skier numbers were up 23% over the best of last 5 years. Several events hosted: Canadian Freestyle Selections, Canada
Cup, BC Winter Games, Free Day to Penticton Chamber of Commerce Members, Keg Cup, Brewski Apres Ski. Compliments were offered from the floor regarding “excellent Lifties & grooming”. President Julia announced APOA’s intention to meet once a month with Apex Management.

10. ADJOURN
Meeting adjourned at 5:15 PM

11. SOCIAL WITH APOA & AFBS MEMBERS 5:15-7:30 ROCK OVEN ROOM

2016 AGM agenda

Posted by: Robert McLennan  /  Category: News

APOA AGENDA FOR MAR. 19TH. APEX. MT. INN  3 P.M.

 

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of AGM minutes of Mar. 21st. 2015
  3. Board reports: 2 to 4 min. each
  4. President- Julia Valenti
  5. Treasurer- Barry Leigh
  6. Membership-Barry Leigh
  7. Argo Road Maintenance-Phyllis Matthews
  8. Forestry-Jeff Brown–Q. and A. if needed-10 minutes
  9. AFBS Report–3 min. and 3 min. Q. and A.
  10. Presentation of $500 to AFBS from APOA
  11. Waste Transfer Station update–Candace Pilling–RDOS

10 min. and 10 min. Q.and A.

  1. RDOS Governance Study Update-Myleen Mallach– 5 min. and 10 min. Q. and A.
  2. Board Elections
  3. Apex Mt. Resort Update–James Shalman–10 min. and 10 min. Q.and A.
  4. Adjourn

2016 AGM AND SOCIAL

Posted by: Johnny Smoke  /  Category: News
The APOA is in dire need of people to serve on the Board this coming season. Losing 3 Board members, 4 staying but a couple of more sure would help. Those that are leaving have served 16, 9 and 5 yrs. and time for them to move to other pursuits. Please consider stepping up and helping out. The APOA is vital to protecting property and environmental values and has functioned in a strong capacity for 22 yrs. Let’s keep it that way–strong and vital. Serving requires attending up to 6 meetings a year and even those can be reduced if the new Board chooses to meet via e-mail on occasion- the new Board decides how it wants to operate. All the difficult groundwork of Board operation has been done and the work is carried out now with precision, just a matter of keeping it going.
On another note, there will be a SOCIAL in the Rock Oven Grill around 5:30(or right after meeting) to 7:30 following the AGM. This event is co-sponsored by the APOA and the AFBS (fire brigade) as a way to start some tie-in with the 2 groups that can be further built upon in the 2016/17 season if this event proves successful. This is a members only event. Success is measured by how many attend so please do so. Appies and $5 drink specials will be provided. BRING CASH FOR THE DRINK TICKETS. It will be a great way to end our APOA season, just like the well attended APOA social in December started the season.
APOA AGENDA FOR MAR. 19TH. APEX. MT. INN  3 P.M.
1. Call to order
2. Approval of AGM minutes of Mar. 21st. 2015
3. Board reports: 2 to 4 min. each
    A. President- Julia Valenti
    B. Treasurer- Barry Leigh
    C. Membership-Barry Leigh
    D. Argo Road Maintenance-Phyllis Matthews
    E. Forestry-Jeff Brown–Q. and A. if needed-10 minutes
4. AFBS Report–3 min. and 3 min. Q. and A.
5. Presentation of $500 to AFBS from APOA
6. Waste Transfer Station update–Candace Pilling–RDOS
    10 min. and 10 min. Q.and A.
7. RDOS Governance Study Update-Myleen Mallach– 5 min. and 10 min. Q. and A.
8. Board Elections
9. Apex Mt. Resort Update–James Shalman–10 min. and 10 min. Q.and A.
10. Adjourn
Social in Rock Oven Room with AFBS for members only immediately following the meeting.
See you all on the 19th.
Julia Valenti, Pres. APOA

APOA BOARD MEETING— JAN. 17TH., 2 P.M.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke  /  Category: Meeting Minutes, News

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER
  2. Review minutes of last meeting Oct. 15th., 2015—corrections as needed
  3. Skype call with Jeff Brown in Maryland
    1. Forestry update—Jeff Brown:
      1. current logging situation at Apex
      2. future logging at Apex
      3. forestry conference feedback
      4. next forestry conference
      5. APOA forestry committee’s future re: who is on it, modus operandi
    2. APOA as an organization—general discussion—Julia Valenti:
      1. Apex Matters article backlash:
        1. are we still viable?
        2. is there a need to meet with James regarding his email reply?
      2. Board duties:
        1. work load—too much, too little re logging, snowmobiles, property values, helping to improve Resort offerings, bylaw officer, waste management, APOA Social
        2. equitable division of labor—Board and volunteers (John Matthews, Clea Buchler, Andrew Allin, Dennis O’Gorman): membership records/treasurer/ads for Apex Matters/articles for Apex Matters/website/Facebook/ writing minutes of meetings/ Board agendas/correspondence—newsletters to membership, letters to other bodies/managing g-mail/post office mail collection/ Society and tax filings required yearly with Victoria/meetings with g.m. at Resort/ anything else
        3. brochures/insurance/AGM
      3. Who is staying on Board, who is leaving
      4. Getting new Board members/getting more association members and membership report—Barry Leigh
      5. What ifs:
        1. no new Board members resulting in not enough to carry workload resulting in dissolution of association
      6. Conclusions to be drawn from discussion
    3. Treasurer’s report—Barry Leigh
    4. Argo report—Phyllis Matthews
    5. Facebook page—Jen Albrectson reporting for and from Clea Buchler
    6. Area D governance study—how do we input it?
    7. Apex Matters articles for the rest of the season
    8. AGM date
    9. Area D governance study
    10. Adjourn

Amendments to Gorman Brothers Forest Service Plan

Posted by: Johnny Smoke  /  Category: News

Feeback from the APOA, response from Gorman Bros.

Below is the original letter sent by Denis O’Gorman to Gorman Brothers Timber Ltd.

To see the response from Kerry Rouck click here.  (It is a PDF file).  It is simplest to view the PDF file as this provides Denis’s comments and Kerry’s response interleaved in context. Read more…